Netflix revealed some info about upcoming anime titles during an event in Singapore, including three from notable anime studios and directors. Chief among them are Cagaster of an Insect Cage, which has Last Exile's Koichi Chigira directing at GONZO; Yasuke, from Children of Ether's LeSean Thomas and anime studio MAPPA; and an anime feature based on Richard K. Morgan's Altered Carbon, with Anima on production and Cowboy Bebop's Dai Sato writing along with Tsukasa Kondo.
Beyond these titles, Netflix announced an animated series based on Pacific Rim, featuring Craig Kyle (Thor: Ragnarok) and Greg Johnson (X-Men: Evolution) as co-showrunners at Legendary Entertainment. Finally, Trese has Jakarta and Singapore-based studio BASE Entertainment tackling the mythical creatures of Philippine folklore.
Check out a couple stills from Cagaster of an Insect Cage along with more details for each below.
- Returning to the epic battle of Kaiju and Jeagers, this original anime series will expand upon the story of the first two live action movies and follow two siblings – an idealistic teenage boy and his naïve younger sister – who are forced to pilot an abandoned Jaeger across a hostile landscape in a desperate attempt to find their missing parents.
- This anime feature, set in the same universe of the Netflix live-action sci-fi series (second season in production from Skydance Television), will explore new elements of the story mythology.
Cagaster of an Insect Cage
- Set in a post-apocalyptic world where a mysterious disease “Cagaster” turns people into giant murderous insects, this manga-based series follows the struggle of a young couple to stay alive.
- In a war-torn feudal Japan of mechs and magic, a retired ronin must take up his sword when he is charged with the task of transporting a mysterious child who dark forces want to eliminate.
- Set in a Manila where the mythical creatures of Philippine folklore live in hiding amongst humans, Alexandra Trese finds herself going head to head with a criminal underworld comprised of malevolent supernatural beings. This anime series is based on the Philippine graphic novel by the same name, created by Budjette Tan and Kajo Baldissimo.